VAUNET is the umbrella organisation of audio and audiovisual media companies in Germany and the largest representative body of commercial broadcasting interests in Europe. Its 160 members enrich Germany's media landscape through diversity, creativity and innovation.
Commercial media reach an audience of millions with their offerings. As multi-channel providers and digital players, they have long ceased to be just television and radio in the traditional sense, but also offer a wide range of on-demand, social media and user-generated content, as well as many other attractive interactive services.
In order for the sector’s companies to fulfill their special responsibility for media and opinion diversity in Germany and Europe in the digital world, the regulatory, technological and economic framework conditions must fit. As a trade association, VAUNET supports companies in achieving these goals in pursuing dialog with politicians, supervisory bodies and market partners – both at the national and the European level.
- Europe’s largest association representing the interests of commercial broadcasters
- Umbrella organization with no commercial interests
- Almost 160 members from the audio and audiovisual media sector:
- offer many hundreds of audio and audiovisual media services – from radio programs, web channels and audio-on-demand to free TV, pay TV, teleshopping or video-on-demand (VoD) and interactive services
- stand for high social relevance with their information and entertainment offerings and are important partners in the fight against disinformation and hate speech
- as part of the audiovisual media industry, they are one of the largest and fastest-growing sectors of the German economy
- offer exciting job opportunities in a wide range of professions, such as reporter and editor, data engineer, SEO specialist, legal counsel, developer and controller, product manager or marketing specialist.
- Co-initiator of Voluntary Self-Regulation of Television (FSF), founding member of Voluntary Self-Regulation of Multimedia (FSM), Association of European Radios (AER) and Allianz „Koalition Kultur- und Kreativwirtschaft“ (k3d) as well as founding shareholder of the central technical service provider for online measurement, INFOnline
- Member of the Central Association of the German Advertising Industry (ZAW) and the German TV Platform, as well as associate member of Digital Radio Mondiale (DRM)
- 1990 Merger of the two founding associations to form the Association of Private Broadcasting and Telecommunications (VPRT)
- 2006 Change of name to Verband Privater Rundfunk und Telemedien e. V. (VPRT)
- 2018 Renamed VAUNET – Association of Private Media: The name VAUNET is derived from the initial letters of „video“ and „audio“, which form the cornerstones of the association, and from the term „network“.
VAUNET in numbers
years industry expertise